PDA

Vis full versjon : Tomcat - Volvo 960

Tomcat
18/01/11, 22:30
Hi,

I've just joined your forum with the hopes of learning a few tuning mods for my 96 960, I've already completed a few mods but they're mainly cosmetic at the moment..

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1164.jpg

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1165.jpg

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1166.jpg

I'm looking for help with the rear suspension, it has the later type of IRS with the composite leaf, what's the best way of lowering and uprating the rear suspension?, would coilovers be the bet bet?.

Anders Dybvadsskog
19/01/11, 07:18
Nice front bumper:) i think coilovers is the best for that suspension.

Tomcat
19/01/11, 08:01
Many thanks, made the front bumper myself...

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1184.jpg

Thomas S
19/01/11, 10:31
nice car :)
good to see people from other countries also builds volvo's ;)

Volvo-Lars
19/01/11, 10:36
Very nice car:)

Custom grill?

245 gl
19/01/11, 13:16
Looks nice...you should paint the side skirts ( ? ) and the lower part of the rear bumper in the car's colour...it makes the car look lower, and even better :)

mrstfu
19/01/11, 13:59
dude... NICE!

Ive always loved clean looking cars, but that is beautiful!

welcome to the forums, man!:D

Anders Dybvadsskog
19/01/11, 15:09
Do you have som inside pics?:)

Vegardb92
19/01/11, 16:17
interior pictures? Very nice car and good work on the front bumper

roffenn
20/01/11, 18:07
Nice car:) more pictures have been nice ;)

Svirre
20/01/11, 21:26
Very special front! :) I'm not usually like 964, but this front you've made fits perfect for the rest of the body.

Is it a V70 front bumper who is modified for the 960 front? If so, nice combination! :)

Luigi
20/01/11, 21:35
nice car! but the stearing wheel is on the wrong side xD haha, yust kidding :p

but the grill vas not looking soo good..

gull pilen
21/01/11, 10:13
nice car... v70R front bumper?

Tomcat
22/01/11, 12:58
Thanks guys, still got lots of work to do on the car but it's slow going as I don't have much money at the moment. The grill didn't work out as well as expected as I used an S60 grill rather than an xc70 item, going to be making another one at some point.

Going to be doing more painting when the weather warms up, the side skirts are next and then I'm making a custom rear bumper with twin exhausts..

Here's a few more photo's for those that where interested, the interior is totaly standard(bar the tints), I want to swap it out at some point as I hate the colour of it.

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1407.jpg

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1408.jpg

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2011/01/1409.jpg

Anders Dybvadsskog
22/01/11, 16:06
Nice nice:D do you have any plans with the engine? or is it going to be stock? (werry werry bad solberg english)

mik4oj
22/01/11, 21:16
Nice nice:D do you have any plans with the engine? or is it going to be stock? (werry werry bas solberg english)

"It's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell" ;)

Heenster
23/01/11, 05:08
Very nice car :)

Lightyear
23/01/11, 23:00
Ohhh! Nice!

You should make a grill in the same height as the lamps and pull it in, the "dent" in the bumper where the grill is now should be filled in. Flatnose 960? :D
Love the bumper, really good work from the looks of it

A

Njål Nilssen
27/01/11, 20:51
Do you have the 3.0 or the 2.5 engine? I see you have a manual transmission, but that doesn't mean it can't be a 3.0. Some of the low-output (180hp) 3.0's came with manual :)

You have many options regarding the engine performance part...

If you have a 2.5, you have a less potential for making great power in NA setup (because of heavier reciprocating weight, compared to engine displacement), but it suits nice for a LP turbo or supercharger setup. But since none of the NA engines got piston cooling nozzles, the power output should be "moderate", unless you drill som holes in the block and install nozzles + plumbing. The stock camshafts and angles on the 2.5 actually works quite nice for a supercharger setup, so I personally would have gone for a Lysholm/whipple twin-screw setup, if I had a 2.5 :D

If you have any of the 3.0's (identical engines realy, just different camshafts and different program on the ECU) making fun amounts of NA power is quite easy.

- Old (modelyear 92-94) camshafts or custom grind ones.
- Light "factory error correction" porting done to the head.
- 3" exhaust system with tuned 6-2-1 headers.
- "Custom" intake system with straight and tuned runners.
- Re-mapping of the stock ECU.

Regarding the ECU... All 960's (modelyear 96 on) and s/v90's feature a quite powerfull ECU. They all have the Bosch Motronic 4.4 with OBDII comunication.
This means that the stock ECU can be "live" re-mapped on a dyno, almost like any aftermarket one ;)

But for a boosted 2.5 I would recommend an aftermarket one...

Best regards
flyfaen
Njål

The Sven
27/01/11, 21:12
Nice car, and refreshing to se a brit choosing to refine another car than the usual GTI hatchbacks! :) Keep up with the good work! I'm keen to follow this thread.

And ofcourse welcome to the forum!

Janus
30/01/11, 19:55
I LIKE IT :D That frontbumper is class!

Christian
02/02/11, 13:10
Awesome front bumper!

Nybakken
13/02/11, 23:58
My god that bumper really did something with the look of the car!
Now just chop the rear springs (or buy coilovers)
Awesome looking car mate!

Tomcat
14/02/11, 08:49
Thankyou for all the nice comments, sadly can't do much about the rear height yet as it's got the awfull transverse leaf rear suspension. I swapped the leaf for a softer nivomat leaf and I've fitted some niviomats shocks, this has lowered it a little from what it was but to go lower I'll have to buy some coilovers.

A.Finstad
16/02/11, 13:05
its a swedish guy that makes coilovers to the volvo IRS http://www.myranes.com/ its in swedish but google translate may be helpfull? send him an e-mail and ask ;)

Daniel V
19/02/11, 13:44
Nice car, Tomcat!

I love the car ant the interior!

How did you find Volvo Car Club Norway? :)

Tomcat
20/02/11, 00:08
Thanks, found the forum whilst searching the web for more pics/info on modded 960's, usually while looking for Vallakra Treffen pictures.

A.Finstad
21/02/11, 12:13
have you seen the Vallakra pics on this forum?

Tomcat
21/02/11, 20:27
No...where are they???..linky please..

Slettmyr
21/02/11, 20:53
No...where are they???..linky please..

http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?t=9631 ;)

Tomcat
24/02/11, 08:37
Thankyou.....Mmmm more Volvo goodness....

Anders Dybvadsskog
19/07/11, 18:44
Nothing new?:)

Tomcat
05/03/12, 17:13
Sorry for the looong wait, sadly no good news, my car got side swiped by some idiot in a BMW and as a result it was written off, most of the good stuff (Grill, Front bumper, rear spoiler) went to my friend in California for his 960, the rest was just broken for spares, the wheels sadly went just the other day. I'm currently out of work so can't afford another one but as and when I get funds I will start again, plans next time are to start with a T5 transplant and then move onto the bodywork (which I find easiest anyway).

** Update**...Got offered a 960 with manual gearbox and a tuned T5 engine fitted for £1600, sadly I can't afford to buy it though....

Svirre
05/03/12, 20:05
I'm sorry to hear that! :( Your car was a very good looking car, but allways some kind of an idiot mess up things like that. How did this actually happend? Any pics?

Tomcat
15/04/12, 18:05
I'm sorry to hear that! :( Your car was a very good looking car, but allways some kind of an idiot mess up things like that. How did this actually happend? Any pics?

Thanks for the compliment, the guy in the BMW was going around a roundabout next to me and decided that he wanted to be in the same lane I was (which entered the motorway) he just swerved without even looking and plowed into the side of my car, sadly no pics (didn't think to take any). On the plus side I'm probably going to be getting another 960 in the coming months but this time I think it'll be an estate as the saloon just wan't practical for a family, expect to start off this time with engine mods (hopefully anyway) just got to try and find a mint V90 in a nice colour (anything other than green) and it must have the grey interior as I don't like the cream at all).

While I'm here can anyone point me in the direction of Vallakra photos please from this year?, for some strange reason I can't find any anywhere.

volvoRsport
15/04/12, 18:14
While I'm here can anyone point me in the direction of Vallakra photos please from this year?, for some strange reason I can't find any anywhere.

I suppose you mean from last year? If so, here's the "official" Vallåkra picture thread for 2011: http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?29094-Bilder-fra-Vall%C3%A5kratr%C3%A4ffen-2011&p=424570#post424570

Tomcat
15/04/12, 19:28
I suppose you mean from last year? If so, here's the "official" Vallåkra picture thread for 2011: http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?29094-Bilder-fra-Vall%C3%A5kratr%C3%A4ffen-2011&p=424570#post424570

Er... Yeahh, I keep forgetting it's in August, thanks for that.

Anders Dybvadsskog
13/10/12, 14:37
something new here?

Tomcat
12/11/13, 01:14
something new here?

No sadly nothing new, I didn't get another 960, in the end I bought a 98 V70R.

Anders Dybvadsskog
12/11/13, 08:39
Aha, but those are nice cars too:) i just bought a 97 v70r awd myself

thune
12/11/13, 09:14
nice car..

Tomcat
12/11/13, 10:20
This is my latest car (after lots of renovation work by myself)

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2013/11/575.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/volvo850t5r/media/photo4_zpsb5c4cfc4.jpg.html)

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2013/11/576.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/volvo850t5r/media/photo_zps17676048.jpg.html)

http://forum.vccn.no/img-dump/2013/11/577.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/volvo850t5r/media/photo_zps003ce02d.jpg.html)

Anders Dybvadsskog
12/11/13, 10:50
Verry nice! Where did you bought the carbon lipp in front? Have you mounted lower springs?

Svirre
12/11/13, 16:42
Awesome details, buddy! Did you buy the engine cover or did you paint the flames by your self? Like the height of the car :) Nice work!

Daniel V
12/11/13, 16:54
I think i've seen that cover before. Nice car! :) Enjoy it!

Tomcat
12/11/13, 16:59
Thanks guys, I have no idea if the cars been lowered or not, it's never occured to me that it could already have been lowered. The sparkplug cover is something I painted myself (I do airbrushing in my spare time), I've painted a few now over the years. The front splitter is fibreglass and I make these along with the headlight wiper blanks.

mrstfu
12/11/13, 23:39
Nice ride, man, how are those headlamps treating you? Looking to get a pair of those myself, but living where I live, I can't have crappy lights. Any comments on spreadpattern or intensity?

Tomcat
12/11/13, 23:50
Thanks bud!.. I got the headlights because the standard ones had done the usual thing of losing the coating off the reflectors, it was a bit like driving with a couple of candles for headlights. As a direct replacement they're a hell of a lot better than the standard ones, though I think that even with the height adjusters linked up they dont light up enough of the road directly in front of the car for me. I've got some HID's to fit when I get a spare minute so this may well improve the area but only time will tell.

The Sven
12/11/13, 23:59
Verry nice! Where did you bought the carbon lipp in front? Have you mounted lower springs?

The FWD R is lower than your AWD :)

Nice car, Tomcat :)

mrstfu
13/11/13, 12:27
Thanks bud!.. I got the headlights because the standard ones had done the usual thing of losing the coating off the reflectors, it was a bit like driving with a couple of candles for headlights. As a direct replacement they're a hell of a lot better than the standard ones, though I think that even with the height adjusters linked up they dont light up enough of the road directly in front of the car for me. I've got some HID's to fit when I get a spare minute so this may well improve the area but only time will tell.

Nice! Buying more expensive bulbs might get you the light you're after, without having the bonkers spreadpattern HIDs in reflectors give you, they tend to throw light everywhere, including right in the face lf oncoming traffic. Try Night Breakers or GP Thunders, they are alot more effective than lowcost bulbs. Dunno about you, but HIDs in cars not approved with them are illegal and fineable over here.

Jewel lamps off the C70 will probably give you the best possible and street legal light there is, but they are pricey. A new pair here at home will run you the equivalent of about 800£.

Keep it up, man, this car looks real nice. Always had a thing for the FWD Rs, driving a car that powerful, only through its frontwheels is pretty close to insane... and ALOT of fun:-)

Post a picture of the lights the way you experience them at night, if you get a chance? No rush, I probably wont get these lamps until next summer anyway, but we love pictures on this board:-)

Tomcat
13/11/13, 21:10
Thanks for the info, the only reason I'm even considering the HID's is because these are projector headlights so they're pretty much built for them anyway, they have clear lenses rather than the standard fluted ones. I'll try and post a pic up of the headlights when I get 5 minutes, no chance during the commute home as traffic is silly, I'd need to go somewhere quite so you can actualy see how far they shine rather than just bouncing off the car in front of me,lol. Oh and a big thanks for the compliments, it's been a hard road to get it where it is now, it was a shed when I bought it earlier this year.

mrstfu
13/11/13, 21:40
Thanks for the info, the only reason I'm even considering the HID's is because these are projector headlights so they're pretty much built for them anyway, they have clear lenses rather than the standard fluted ones. I'll try and post a pic up of the headlights when I get 5 minutes, no chance during the commute home as traffic is silly, I'd need to go somewhere quite so you can actualy see how far they shine rather than just bouncing off the car in front of me,lol. Oh and a big thanks for the compliments, it's been a hard road to get it where it is now, it was a shed when I bought it earlier this year.

Shit, ofcourse they are projectors! I was too focused on the jewels:D

The car looks damn good, man. Love the Comets and the lip. You say you cast them yourself? I assume you've had one of the originals to construct the mould, hard work? Not really a carbon fibre-hoe, but they look soooo damn good on the R-bumpers:D

Btw: Change the name of the thread, or make a new one in the 850/x70 worklog section. This looks too good to just dissapear.

Tomcat
14/11/13, 00:16
Thanks bud, yeah I need to start a new build thread as I have a shed load of pics and the like from the various other forums I have it posted on, I'll get on with a new thread tomorrow. The mould was simple to make, I've made loads of other fibreglass stuff, lots of one off bumpers and the like over the years for various people.

mrstfu
14/11/13, 07:57
How much would you charge to make and ship one of those to Norway? They look damn good, and I can guarantee you could sell a few.

Anders Dybvadsskog
14/11/13, 12:05
I would want one

mrstfu
14/11/13, 12:18
My point excactly. Admittedly, fibreglass doesn't have the same toughness as CF, so it will shatter more easily if brutally confronted with snowy roads and such, but those with the CF splitters are as careful with their lip as anyone else, given the price. As with most other things, being careful usually solves your problem.

How does it attach? Pop rivets and washers?

Tomcat
14/11/13, 20:01
TBH I think I did a group buy a loong time ago but I'm not sure it was this forum. If enough are buying them then I'll charge £80 each, less if there is enough interest. I cant remember how much shipping was when I did it last time (it's been a few years since) Idealy the best thing is for me to put them all in a crate, send them to one members house and then they can arrange to send them out to all the various members. I've sold loads of these and tbh they're probably just as strong as the carbon ones because they're a lot thicker than them, I dont skimp on the materials. One member on another forum told me how his fell off while he was driving down a dual carriage way, he drove over it, went back for it ten minutes later and it was still in one piece. The best method of attaching these is with bolts and large washers to spread the load (though I dont supply these, they're only cheap to purchase).

Let me know, I make them for the ph1 V70R's and the 850R's

Oh I've also made other stuff in the past such as 960R front bumpers (as you can see from my 960 pics), one of V70R bumpers, 850 rear bumpers... you name it really...

Tomcat
16/11/13, 18:12
Is there any interest in organising a group buy or is it just a few of you who want them?

mrstfu
16/11/13, 18:27
Is there any interest in organising a group buy or is it just a few of you who want them?

Haven't really gotten around to asking people yet. For my part, definitely, but not yet. Gotta get me an R bumper first, and I don't really have the space to store any more shit, no offence. That's a remark on how much shit I've already got stored, including more or less an entire 850 in parts, on top of an assembled 850. I'm postponing the bumperswitch until nest spring, when the snow has gone, I want a few months with a freshly painted car part before the snow and salt sets in.

But I tell you what, you can read this forum in english, right? Meaning you can view the buttons and user interface in english? If so, head over here: http://forum.vccn.no/forumdisplay.php?57-S-850-x70-serien , post a salesthread explaining what you sell and how you prefer it shipped. It'll open up for a few more interested people, I think alot of 850/x70 guys might have overseen this thread, seeing as it is a 960 in the title, and they might feel a bit discouraged by the title beeing in english:D

I for one am interested, and if someone organized a group buy, where we split the S&H, count me down for one. And don't worry; even though most norwegians don't write or speak perfect english, we read it pretty well:D

Do you have any more pictures of the lips as they would arrive if we bought them? I'm sure most people are gonna wanna know how much labour it entails, as opposed to the CF lips, most people tend to wanna keep the fibres visible. Not a big CFfan myself, so I dont mind it beeing all black.

Anders Dybvadsskog
16/11/13, 18:31
I agree with mrstfu. If you open a tread at the link mrstfu gave you with allot of pictures, i think it will sell well. I really want one:)

Tomcat
17/11/13, 16:53
Thanks guys, I've added a thread in the area you suggested, hope it's ok with the Mods, I dont want to go offending anyone.

mrstfu
17/11/13, 17:08
Thanks guys, I've added a thread in the area you suggested, hope it's ok with the Mods, I dont want to go offending anyone.

Nah, its for sales between users, private people and such. No worries, as long as you hold up your end of any deals:D

Tomcat
17/11/13, 17:20
I've been making these for around 5 years now and done 2 other group buys before this one, (one to the U.S. and another to a forum here in Europe). I've always completed any orders I've taken.

TheStig
20/12/13, 00:51
I just stumbled onto this thread, and man I gotta say you are quite handy with the fibreglass. And not too bad with the airbrush either by the looks of it. ;)
I have airbrushing as one of my hobbies myself, just brushed a hood for myself and a hood plus both sides on a friends car so far but hope to do some more work with the airbrush when I get me a suitable garage to work in. I have also been very keen on learning the art of creating bumpers and spoilers of fibreglass, but never gotten around to try that just yet. But your work is surely impressive and a good source of inspiration for anyone out there who would like to try. Including me. ;)

It was really sad what happened to your 960, she was a beauty with that custom made front bumper. And I am sure the planned custom made rear bumper and sideskirts would have made her a rare pearl. But your new ride is not that far behind, and I am sure you will create a show car out of it in no time if you get your funds together. :)

I will check back into the english part of this forum from time to time to follow any updates, I want to see this project as it develop. :)

mrstfu
20/12/13, 07:59
I just stumbled onto this thread, and man I gotta say you are quite handy with the fibreglass. And not too bad with the airbrush either by the looks of it. ;)
I have airbrushing as one of my hobbies myself, just brushed a hood for myself and a hood plus both sides on a friends car so far but hope to do some more work with the airbrush when I get me a suitable garage to work in. I have also been very keen on learning the art of creating bumpers and spoilers of fibreglass, but never gotten around to try that just yet. But your work is surely impressive and a good source of inspiration for anyone out there who would like to try. Including me. ;)

It was really sad what happened to your 960, she was a beauty with that custom made front bumper. And I am sure the planned custom made rear bumper and sideskirts would have made her a rare pearl. But your new ride is not that far behind, and I am sure you will create a show car out of it in no time if you get your funds together. :)

I will check back into the english part of this forum from time to time to follow any updates, I want to see this project as it develop. :)

He created a new thread for the V70 in the right subforum, man. Check it out, plenty of satisfaction for us picture-o-filiacs.

TheStig
20/12/13, 09:39
Ah, rgr that mrstfu. How could I've missed that?! :p

mrstfu
20/12/13, 11:43
Well, perhaps you are too old to stay up at one o'clock in the morning?

TheStig
20/12/13, 17:58
Haha :D
Might be.. It's hard to be a nissemann.. :p

Sent from my ☆GT-I9100☆ using Tapatalk

Tomcat
20/12/13, 20:35

Many thanks!!.. Sorry for not replying sooner, I didn't notice there where new replies to this thread. I've been airbrushing for years and the fibreglassing only came about as I wanted something for my car that I couldnt afford, so I decided to try and make one for myself lol. There'll be more updates on the V70 thread as this thread is basically dead now (unless I get my hands on another 960)